AT&T Plans Smartphone Assault
Updated from 9:19 a.m. EDT
The telecom giant will unveil a slew of devices at the CTIA conference in Las Vegas, including Nokia's E71x smartphone, and Samsung's Propel Pro, as well as a number of phones aimed at the 'quick messaging' market.
In addition to Propel Pro, these include full-keyboard phones such as LG's Xenon and Neon and Samsung's Impression and Magnet offerings.Smartphones and quick messaging are helping drive AT&T's wireless growth, according to David Christopher, chief marketing officer for the firm's mobility and consumer markets "Smartphones and quick messaging phones are no longer for early-adopters and text-happy teens," he said, in a statement. "The ability to text often, or check your email from a phone is easy and more customers demand these features." AT&T has typically lagged behind rival Verizon (VZ) in terms of its full-keyboard phones, although at least one analyst thinks that the Dallas, Texas-based firm is making the right moves. "I think that they are closing that gap," said Matt Thornton, an analyst at Avian Securities in Boston, Mass. "That form-factor, when you're talking to teenagers or to people that do a lot of SMS or IM'ing, is becoming very popular." Despite seeing its wireline operation take a pounding recently, AT&T continues to see strength in next-generation phones. Buoyed by the growth of its wireless business and the popularity of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone, AT&T is even forecasting low single-digit revenue growth during 2009, despite an increasingly tough economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV