Biotech Stock Mailbag: Fans Rally 'Round Arena
The Biotech Mailbag is open.
My column on Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) and the looming release of phase III data on it's obesity drug lorcaserin seemed to hit a nerve with some die-hard Arena fans. Several people emailed to say I was too bearish and that I should not have quoted Canaccord Adams' analyst Adam Cutler, who downgraded the stock recently.
The flurry of Arena-focused email included (naturally) the tired claim that I was trying to drive down the Arena's stock price purposely at the bidding of my hedge fund overlords.
I stand by the column. It was a realistic look at the challenges Arena faces. Obesity drug development is fraught with risk, and the current drugs in development -- Arena's lorcaserin or the competing drugs from Vivus (VVUS) and Orexigen Therapeutics (OREX) -- haven't exactly inspired much confidence yet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV