Shares of General Electric (GE) were up Tuesday despite a decline in the broader market, possibly on hopes negative catalysts to the stock's value are already priced in.
GE's gains came despite a drop in large banks such as Citigroup (C), JPMorgan (JPM), Wells Fargo (WFC) and Bank of America (BAC). GE has frequently traded in tandem with those institutions, due to the large contribution of its financial services unit to the firm's overall balance sheet
Moody's Investors Service downgraded GE yesterday, following on the heels of Standard & Poor's. Those two big ratings agencies had long been expected to cut GE's sacred AAA rating, and fears of how the market would react may have been pressuring the stock. Moody's now has a stable outlook on GE's rating.
Another concern had been that GE would trim its dividend, which it had not done since the Great Depression. That came to pass last month, when GE cut the dividend 68% to 10 cents per share.Now the worst of the bad news may be past, giving the shares some breathing room.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV