The Federal Reserve last week said it would buy $300 billion in long-term government bonds and $750 billion in mortgage-backed securities to help resolve the financial crisis. These actions will expand the money supply, which may lead to faster inflation. A weak economy and higher prices is a bad combination.
As we stare down the barrel of this threat, it makes sense to add inflation protection to a diversified portfolio with Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities, or TIPS. There are two exchange traded funds and mutual funds that provide access to TIPS.
The biggest difference between the funds and the actual bonds is that the bonds typically have a lower yield than traditional Treasury issues and the par value increases or decreases by the rate of change in the consumer price index (CPI). The funds typically pay out the CPI adjustments as part of the dividend.
The iShares Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (TIP) and the SPDR Barclays Capital TIPS ETF (IPE) are the two ETFs. They share the same benchmark. TIP, an older issue, has about 20 times the average daily volume of IPE.Most mutual fund families and bigger discount brokerage firms have TIPS funds. Here are some:
- Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities Fund (VIPSX)
- Schwab Inflation Protected Investor Shares (SWRIX)
- Fidelity Inflation Protected Bond Fund (FINPX)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV