The Securities and Exchange Commission has been pushing for companies to submit filings written in "plain English." I wish there could be a similar effort for labels on household items like detergent and toothpaste.
Reporting financial data in a way we can all understand is supposed to keep publicly traded companies honest. Similarly, having to tell consumers more about the ingredients they use in products to control tartar or remove stains might influence the chemicals they use.
Companies that make household cleaners and detergents don't have to tell you what's in them. Makers of items like shampoo and body lotion list ingredients, but they don't seem to care that you need a chemist to make heads or tails of them.
While the government might have approved ingredients for public use, plenty are still being studied for their effects on the environment and our bodies. It's not surprising that the more natural a product's ingredients are, the more willing a company is to tell you about it.Take a look at a label on the laundry detergent sold by Trader Joe's, the specialty grocery chain. Its ingredients include plant-based surfactants, soy-based fabric softener and lavender. I have a pretty good idea of what's washing my clothes. In contrast, the label on Clorox (CLX) bleach tells me it's made of 6% sodium hypochlorite and 94% "other ingredients." Sodium hypochlorite is caustic and potentially toxic. So what's in the other 94% of the solution?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV