Noven And Shire Recall 39 Lots Of ADHD Patches
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shire PLC announced a new recall of the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder patch Daytrana, saying 39 production lots would be pulled from the market because patients could have trouble taking off the protective liner from the patch.
Shire voluntarily recalled thousands of Daytrana patches, made by its partner Noven Pharmaceuticals Inc., in 2008 for the same reason. The companies said the patches are still safe to use, but Shire said the patches no longer meet release liner removal specifications.
The companies said there are enough Daytrana patches on the market to meet demand from patients.
Noven is working on solutions for the liner issue. The Miami-based company said it expected the recall, and its costs will be paid for with a $3.8 million reserve established in case of further recalls. It backed its 2009 profit forecast.On Monday, Shire withdrew a marketing application for Daytrana in Europe. The Basingstoke, U.K., company decided to focus instead on Equasym, a similar drug it bought from UCB Pharma last month. European regulators had asked Shire to conduct another clinical study of Daytrana before they would approve it. Both drugs have the same active ingredient: methylphenidate, which is also found in Ritalin, Concerta, and Shire's older drug Adderall. Noven shares fell 5 cents to $9.65 Friday morning. Shire's U.S-traded shares fell 23 cents to $35.38.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV