Herman Miller Falls After 3Q Results Miss Street
CHICAGO (AP) ¿ Shares of Herman Miller Inc. slumped Thursday, a day after the furniture maker said sales fell during the fiscal third quarter, causing it to lose money during the period.
Raymond James analyst Budd Bugatch said the Zeeland, Mich.-based manufacturer managed to control costs "admirably" during the quarter.
But, he said, shares would likely sink in Thursday's trading because of results fell short of Wall Street forecasts and the magnitude of the sales decline. Late Wednesday, the company said it lost $5.2 million, or 10 cents per share, during the three months that ended Feb. 28. That compares with a profit of $38.3 million, or 65 cents per share, in the corresponding quarter a year ago.
Adjusted for $23.4 million in restructuring costs, the company said it earned 18 cents per share in the most recent quarter ¿ missing Wall Street's target by 3 cents. Sales fell 29 percent to $354.4 million, from $495.4 million last year. On average, analysts polled by Thomson Reuters forecast higher sales of $397.3 million.Herman Miller shares sagged 62 cents, or 6 percent, to $9.70 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV