Technology Rumor of the Day: RIM
Niagara is a slimmer version of popular BlackBerry Curve and borrows some of the keyboard design from AT&T's (T) successful BlackBerry Bold. Like the BlackBerry Storm, Niagara is a 3G world phone, meaning that it works on Verizon's U.S. EVDO network and on Europe's GSM systems.
There has been recent speculation regarding the timing of the Niagara's arrival at Verizon. This is of no small concern for Wall Street observers who see the arrival as a potential last-minute enhancement to RIM's May quarter performance.
Coveted pictures of the Niagara have been lighting up the tech blogs as anticipation builds over the arrival of RIM's latest Verizon-flavored phone.If Niagara doesn't fall into a last-minute delay, it will be a timely perk for Verizon. Apple (AAPL) is expected to introduce a new iPhone sometime this year, and many tech fans are eagerly awaiting Palm's (PALM) Pre phone. Niagara will also provide juice to Verizon's BlackBerry line up. Storm sales, which have led all smartphones at Verizon lately, are starting to slow down. The Niagara will effectively succeed the Curve -- available at Verizon for nearly a year. Perhaps even more important is what Niagara means for RIM's plans for global conquest. As a world phone, RIM can sell the Niagara to Verizon's partner Vodafone (VOD), the world's second largest wireless telco.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV