Winnebago Posts 2Q Loss As RV Sales Slide
By DAN STRUMPF
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Winnebago Industries Inc. posted its third consecutive quarterly loss on Thursday as sales of RVs continued their downward slide amid locked-up credit markets that make it difficult for consumers to get financing.
"It's extremely challenging to compete profitably in a market of this nature," Winnebago Chief Executive Bob Olson said in a conference call.
The recreation-vehicle maker said it lost $10.4 million, or 36 cents per share, in its fiscal second quarter, which ended Feb. 28. That's after a profit of $2.5 million, or 9 cents per share, in the same quarter last year. Wall Street analysts were expecting a narrower loss of 31 cents per share in the most recent quarter, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters.Revenue plunged 81 percent to $31.8 million from $164.2 million, falling short of analysts' estimates of $42.7 million in revenue. RV dealers have been closing their doors across the country as consumer spending falls. Increased incentives have largely failed to lure buyers. Sales of RVs are closely tied to discretionary spending, which has fallen sharply in the economic recession.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV