Time Warner Cable Joins S&P 500 Index
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Standard & Poor's said Wednesday it will add Time Warner Cable Inc. to its S&P 500 index, replacing mall owner Developers Diversified Realty Corp., after the market closes on March 27, when parent company Time Warner Inc. is expected to spin off its remaining interest in the cable operator to its shareholders.
In addition, auto parts retailer O'Reilly Automotive Inc. will replace offshore drilling contractor Noble Corp. in the S&P 500. On Tuesday, Noble said its shareholders have approved switching the company's incorporation from the Cayman Islands to Switzerland, which will make it ineligible for the S&P 500 index.
Itron Inc., which makes meter reading equipment for utilities, will replace O'Reilly in the S&P MidCap 400, while financial services company NBT Bancorp Inc. will replace Itron in the S&P SmallCap 600.
S&P has not yet announced the date of those changes.Standard & Poor's is a subsidiary of McGraw-Hill Cos. Shares of companies added to the S&P 500 often rise, since many investment portfolios are linked to the index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV