Luby's Profit Slips As Restaurant Traffic Declines
HOUSTON (AP) ¿ Restaurant chain operator Luby's Inc. said Wednesday that its earnings slipped in the fiscal second quarter as higher menu prices failed to completely offset declines in guest traffic.
For the 12-week period that ended Feb. 11, earnings dropped 49 percent to $146,000, or 1 cent per share, from $286,000, or 1 cent per share, in the prior year.
Excluding discontinued operations, earnings totaled $196,000, or 1 cent per share.
Sales fell 3 percent to $70.7 million from $72.6 million in the year-earlier second quarter.Same-store sales, or sales at the company's restaurants open at least one year, slipped 3.2 percent during the quarter, which reflected less guest traffic and higher menu prices. Luby's noted that its same-store sales results got a boost from Thanksgiving, which fell at the beginning of the quarter, and was hurt to a lesser extent by the unfavorable timing of Lent, which began after the quarter ended. Without those timing issues, the company estimated that its same-store sales would have declined 5 percent for the second quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV