Cut And Paste And Other IPhone Enhancements Coming
By RACHEL METZ
CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) ¿ Apple Inc. is updating its software for iPhones so that users can cut, copy and paste text ¿ a basic computing feature that was missing from the gadget that seems to do everything.
At an iPhone event for journalists Tuesday at Apple headquarters, the company also pledged to broaden the way that third-party software programmers can build and sell content for the device.
Among other things, software developers now will be able to create applications that have items for sale within them, such as electronic books or additional levels of a video game. And developers will be able to access the music within users' iPhone libraries, so songs they own can be included in games, for example.Despite the adulation over the iPhone, which shook up the smart phone market after launching in 2007, many users wondered why it couldn't cut and paste text. Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iPhone software, said it was "not obvious" how to overcome several hurdles, including getting cut and paste to work with the device's touch-screen interface. Now, Apple said, the third generation of iPhone software, due to be released this summer, will let users copy information from notes and Web pages, and let people move text between different applications. Users who erroneously paste text can shake the iPhone to get an option to cut it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV