Refiner Valero To Obtain 7 VeraSun Plants
By DIRK LAMMERS
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota (AP) ¿ Valero Energy will buy seven ethanol plants from VeraSun Energy for $477 million, the largest biofuel buyout in terms of production capacity.
VeraSun, the second largest U.S. ethanol producer, filed for bankruptcy protection in October and on Wednesday, a Delaware bankruptcy court approved the sale.
Valero won an auction for the assets in court on Tuesday. The sale is expected to close in April.Also involved in the bidding was agribusiness giant Archer Daniels Midland Co. Valero becomes the first traditional refiner to cross over into ethanol production. The sale could give other major energy companies a benchmark price for the assets of ethanol producers now under tremendous financial strain. Ethanol industry leader Poet LLC is also shopping around. Valero Energy Corp., the largest U.S. independent oil refiner, will acquire plants in Aurora, South Darkota; Charles City, Fort Dodge, and Hartley, Iowa; Welcome, Minnesota; Albion, Nebraska; and a development site in Reynolds, Indiana.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV