The goal-posts are shifting in the tech sector, forcing Cisco to seek new business opportunities outside of its core networking niche. With almost $30 billion in cash and a vast installed base, Cisco has the muscle to force itself into a new market, prompting Goldman Sachs to add the company to its conviction buy list Tuesday.
H-P, which saw its overall storage and server revenue plunge 18% in its recent first-quarter results, is understandably nervous about protecting its blade business, which grew 4% year over year."Would you let a plumber build your house?" sniped an H-P spokesperson, in an email to TheStreet.com. "[H-P has] been there, done that, have the customers to prove it." Despite being an obvious slap in the face, however, Cisco's strategy may not prove as much of a challenge to H-P as it first appears. "Over the intermediate term, we do not expect to see any adverse impact to the hardware stocks from this launch," wrote David Bailey, an analyst at Goldman Sachs, in a note, explaining that Cisco's server ramp-up could be slow. "Moreover, Cisco's servers seem only compatible with its own switches, which will likely dampen the rate of adoption."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV