Liberty Global Shares Surge After Upgrade
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Liberty Global Inc. shares surged Tuesday after a Morgan Stanley analyst upgraded the company, pointing to its depressed stock price and trouble for smaller competitors.
Shares of Englewood, Colo.-based Liberty, which provides video, voice, and broadband Internet services, climbed $1.38, or 12.7 percent, to $12.29 in afternoon trading. The stock has ranged from $9.11 to $37.08 over the past year.
Analyst David Gober raised his rating on Liberty to "Equal-weight," from "Underweight."
He told investors in a note Tuesday that there are still risks to Liberty's stock, including continued deterioration of Eastern European economies, "but there may be a light at the end of the tunnel as well."And with the stock down more than 68 percent over the past year, investors have priced most of the risk into shares, Gober said. He also suggested a silver lining for Liberty in the global credit crunch: "Over the next year, smaller competitors will likely need to increase prices or exit the business due to capital constraints, providing opportunity for Liberty Global to stabilize or regain market share."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV