The two latest picks in my deep-in-the-money options-picking system have made it onto my scoreboard - both of them big tech stocks. On Friday, we put our money down on Microsoft (MSFT), while an opportune price drop in Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) on Monday let us place our bets that this stock will rebound soon for a quick cash-out.
Volatility has pushed options prices up this year, keeping us out of a few of my favorite picks, like Caterpillar (CAT) (Jan. 7 and March 4) and United Technologies (UTX) (Feb. 18 and March 6). But the recent four-day rally gave us an entry point with my latest picks.
My system - which bets that shares of value-priced stocks will rise - has a win record of 96-1. With even more picks on the board, we will soon push the number of wins higher.Unless you're a derivatives trader at AIG (AIG), you need to pay yourself a bonus by getting in on the picks action through a subscription to my Nails on the Numbers newsletter. My most recent win was March 10 on Cameron International (CAM), bringing the year-to-date win total to $8,800. Corning (GLW) has had the biggest payout so far, adding $5,800 on Jan. 6 after 62 days in play. When I consider a stock for my system, I want to know whether the company uses its capital wisely. The best way to judge is to look at its return on capital vs. its cost of capital. I won't get into all of that now, but today we can review how to determine a company's cost of its debt - one of two components in the cost of capital. We do that by looking at how much the company pays on its debt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV