State Regulator Says Louisiana Banks Mostly Sound
By ALAN SAYRE
NEW ORLEANS (AP) ¿ Louisiana banks are being spared the problems bedeviling the country's largest institutions and, in many cases, are performing better than their peers in other states, the state's top banking regulator says.
"The best word would be sound," Commissioner of Financial Institutions John Ducrest said in an interview. "Compared to some other parts of the country, our banks are in good shape."
Only 6 percent of Louisiana banks posted an annual loss in 2008, compared to about 24 percent nationwide, Ducrest said.Ducrest would not say if he believed all of the state's 160 banks and thrifts would survive the current recession. But he said public fears are heightened unnecessarily by the high-profile cases of such banks as Citigroup and Bank of America and the collapse last year of Washington Mutual. "There's about 8,500 banks across the country," Ducrest said. "When you look at the FDIC problem bank list, they had 252 at the end of the year. The problem is the largest of the large banks are having significant problems and those banks are dominating the press."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV