Updated from 8:07 a.m. EDT, March 17
If a stock has raised its dividend regularly over many years, that means it's a good buy, right?
Not necessarily. According to RealMoney's Gary Dvorchak, long-term dividend performance is not what matters right now, "since those records were built mostly during good times." Rather, he likes the companies that are currently raising dividends, in the midst of a bad recession.
Every week, Stockpickr reviews the recent dividend declarations and compiles a portfolio of the top dividend-raisers for the previous week. This week's portfolio includes such stocks as Piedmont Natural Gas (PNY), yielding 4.5%, and Franklin Resources (BEN), yielding 1.8%.To read more, visit Stockpickr.com. Who's on Stockpickr Answers? Tim Melvin will be on Stockpickr Answers on March 18 to respond to investing and trading questions posed by members of the Stockpickr community. Not a member? Join the Stockpickr community today -- free.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV