Cisco Systems' (CSCO) plans to break into the server market finally became flesh Monday as the networking firm unveiled new hardware and a slew of partnerships with the likes of Microsoft (MSFT), EMC (EMC), VMware (VMW) and BMC (EMC).
Initially code-named "California Server," Cisco unveiled its "Unified Computing System" (UCS) at a bizarre tele-presence meeting where the company's executives mingled "virtually" with analysts and journalists at 11 cities around the world.
"With this, you're talking about 25% of the data center spend becoming available to Cisco in a way that it wasn't before," said Cisco CEO John Chambers, speaking from San Jose, Calif.The firm barely mentioned blade servers during a presentation that lasted almost two hours, although it confirmed that Intel's processors feature in the UCS' B-Series blade. Rather than focus specifically on blades, Cisco is touting the rackable UCS system as a pre-configured hardware base for VMware's virtualization technology. The technology also offers links to EMC storage and server management software from BMC, it said. "You can't think of this as a blade," said Rob Lloyd, who runs Cisco's U.S., Canadian, and Japanese operations. "It's a system -- it will be shipped as a system."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV