TSC Ratings' Updates: Cogent
The following ratings changes were generated on Monday, March 16.
We've downgraded Cogent (COGT), which provides automated fingerprint identification systems and other fingerprint biometrics solutions to governments, law enforcement agencies, and other organizations worldwide, from buy to hold. Strengths include company's its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, we find that the stock itself is trading at a premium valuation.
Revenue leaped by 82.8% since the same quarter last year, greatly exceeding the industry average of 10.1% growth. Net income rose 49.3%, from $7.7 million to $11.5 million, significantly outperforming the S&P 500 and the electronic equipment, instruments and components industry. Cogent's 57.4% gross profit margin is rather high, though it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. EPS improved significantly compared with the year-ago quarter, but we anticipate underperformance in the coming year relative to the company's two-year pattern of positive EPS growth.
We've downgraded East West Bancorp (EWBC), which operates as the holding company for East West Bank, from hold to sell, driven by its disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and deteriorating net income.Return on equity has greatly decreased compared with the same quarter a year ago, a signal of major weakness within the corporation. The 22.1% gross profit margin is rather low, having decreased significantly from the year-ago period. Net operating cash flow fell 39.3% to $38.1 million, compared with the year-ago quarter. Net income decreased by 93.6%, from $37.3 million to $2.4 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV