People might use their computers and phones to browse e-mail and articles, but they still prefer to read a 200-page novel on paper. That may soon change, thanks to technology that could cause demand for digital readers to explode.
Massachusetts-based E Ink has developed a way to display text without the glare or flickering that usually occurs on screens. The company's "electronic ink" consists of minute capsules suspended in clear fluid that respond to electricity to produce images. The material allows people to read screens from any angle and under any light.
Companies such as Amazon.com (AMZN) and Sony (SNE) are using the technology in digital readers, or e-readers, which are portable handheld devices that can download and store books, magazines and blog posts. The readers only use battery power to turn and refresh pages, so you never have to turn off the device.
|Amazon recently upgraded its Kindle reader.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV