Durect Says Pain Patch Met Goals In Clinical Study
CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) ¿ Durect Corp. said Monday its chronic pain patch Transdur Sufentanil met all of its goals in a midstage clinical trial.
The main goal of the trial was to find the lowest dose of Sufentanil that would allow patients to transition to the drug. Secondary goals were determining the patch's safety and effectiveness, and comparing pain relief with Transdur Sufentanil to pain relief from older drugs.
Durect said patients who used the pain patch over a period of four weeks reported a decrease in pain. The company said the results show patients can be switched to Transdur Sufentanil from oral opioids like OxyContin, and fentanyl patches like Duragesic, while experiencing reduced pain.
The patch is intended to last one week. Durect said the average pain score for patients on the patch was 3.88 out of 10. That compares with a "baseline" score of 4.78.One of the 36 patients dropped out of the trial because the patch was not working, Endo Pharmaceuticals Holdings Corp. was developing Transdur Sufentanil, but after examining results from the trial and meeting with the Food and Drug Administration last month, it concluded Transdur Sufentanil did not fit into its long-term plans. Durect will regain rights to the patch in the U.S. and Canada on Aug. 26. In afternoon trading, Durect shares were up 1 cent at $2.05.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV