Weyerhaeuser Rises After Analyst Hikes Rating
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Weyerhaeuser Co., one of the top U.S. timberlands owners and wood products makers, rose Monday after an analyst upgraded the stock's rating, saying a recent price decline has gone too far.
Just five months ago the stock was above $60; last week it closed below $20.
Among the reasons for the decrease are a worsening housing slump and corresponding wood products price declines, weak demand for pulp used to make paper products, and a tight credit market, Deutsche Bank-North America analyst Mark Wilde said Monday in a client note.
"Despite all the bad news, we think the sell-off has gone too far," Wilde said, raising his rating to "Buy" from "Hold.""Even compared to the relatively depressed valuations of its peers, Weyerhaeuser stock now looks attractively valued," he wrote. Wilde maintained his price target of $30 on the assumption that the Federal Way, Wash.-based company will convert itself into a real estate investment trust. In midday trading, shares rose $1.95, or 8.2 percent, to $25.78. Since the beginning of the year the stock has fallen about 16 percent, just slightly more than the S&P 500 stock index. In the last 52 weeks, the stock has fallen 61.6 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV