Landry's Posts Profit On Insurance Gain
HOUSTON (AP) -- National restaurant, hotel and casino company Landry's Restaurants Inc. said Monday it swung to a profit in the fourth quarter, boosted by a gain from insurance proceeds.
For the period ended Dec. 31, the company reported net income of $4.6 million, or 30 cents per share, compared with a loss of $6.6 million, or 41 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.
Results included a gain of $11.5 million from insurance proceeds that offsets charges taken in the third quarter related to Hurricane Ike. Year-ago results included a $5 million loss from discontinued operations.
Excluding items, earnings from continuing operations were 30 cents per share in the most recent quarter, compared with a loss of 10 cents a year ago.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters forecast earnings of 11 cents per share, on average. Revenue declined 9 percent to $253.7 million from $277.9 million. Same-store restaurant sales dropped 4.7 percent during the quarter. Same-store sales are a key indicator of restaurant performance because they measure growth at existing locations rather than newly opened ones. For the full year, Landry's net income fell to $2.9 million, or 19 cents per share, from $18.1 million, or 93 cents per share, in 2007. Revenue slipped 1 percent to $1.14 billion from $1.16 billion. Shares jumped 59 cents, or 12.9 percent, to $5.15 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV