GenTek Impairment Charges Drive 4Q Loss
PARSIPPANY, N.J. (AP) ¿ GenTek Inc., which makes chemical and industrial products, said Friday an impairment charge drove the company to a net loss in the fourth quarter.
The company said it lost $126 million, or $12.63 a share, in the quarter ended Dec. 31 compared with a profit of $18.8 million, or $1.64 a share, a year earlier.
Sales improved slightly to $139.1 million, up from $134 million in the same quarter a year ago.
The company said it recorded a $157 million restructuring and impairment charge.For the year, the company said it lost $109 million, or $10.83 per share, compared with a profit of $29.8 million, or $2.57 a share, the year before. The 2008 results included a non-cash impairment charge related to the goodwill and intangible assets of the valve actuation systems segment of $156.5 million. The charge represents the write-off of the entire goodwill balance and nearly all of the intangible assets related to the valve actuation systems segment, which were originally recognized upon the company's emergence from bankruptcy in 2003.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV