Updated from 2:04 p.m. ET
Shares of Las Vegas Sands (LVS) rose 28.35% on Friday following positive comments from an analyst.
Janet Brashear of Bernstein Research said Las Vegas Sands can sell minority equity interest in some of its core assets as well as some properties in Macau to help its finances.
Brashear views as a "significant home-run" the 2010 opening of the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore."Singapore, in particular, is well positioned in a strong market with significant upside potential," she wrote in a client note. "If you believe that (Las Vegas Sands) lasts the next two years, the stock should significantly outperform," she said. Almost 34 million LVS shares were trading in the early afternoon. Shares of American Apparel (APP) soared 67.8%, or $1.01 cents to $2.50 after the Los Angeles-based clothing retailer announced Friday that it would receive an $80 million investment from Lion Capital. The infusion would give the private equity firm almost 20% of the company. Shares of Compass Minerals (CMP), an Overland Park, Kan.-based salt and specialty fertilizer company, dropped 13.7% following a media report that German fertilizer company K+S has delayed a possible offer for Compass, Reuters reported, citing the Financial Times Deutschland. Compass shares had closed $1.80 higher Thursday on the news. Shares of Standard Motor Products (SMP), a Long Island City, N.Y.-based maker of aftermarket auto parts rose 35.5%, or 55 cents to $2.10. The company, which has a $39 million market capitalization, released a 10-K Thursday that said "we tightened the rules for authorized warranty returns, placed further restrictions on the amounts customers can return and instituted a program so that our management can better estimate potential future product returns." Shares of Synutra International (SYUT), a Rockville, Md.-based food distributor, were up 14.6%, or 80 cents, to $6.30 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV