But many of those triple-A rated securities have since been downgraded. In all, Standard & Poor's has downgraded $1.25 trillion out of $3.22 trillion in housing-related securities issued between the first quarter of 2005 and the third quarter of 2007. About 66% of those securities originally rated investment-grade have been downgraded to junk-bond status.
"The ratings agencies have caused us problems at both ends of this -- by not spending enough time in their due diligence, and also by overreacting once the credit problems have happened," says Tom Brown, head of financial services hedge fund Second Curve Capital.
Though the ratings agencies held themselves up as independent arbiters of credit quality, it appears they actually just pimped themselves out to the issuers, who paid them for their ratings. As The New York Times reported in December, when Countrywide Financial complained to Moody's that it didn't like a rating on a security it issued, Moody's changed it a day later without any new information coming to light. A Moody's spokesman denies the agency has ever done this, the Times reported.When they weren't being pushovers, they were being incompetent. As the Financial Times reported last year, a computer glitch caused Moody's to incorrectly give a triple-A rating to billions of dollars of securities called constant proportion debt obligations. And then, when Moody's found out about the glitch, their methodology had conveniently changed, to allow these ratings to stay in place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV