Tough Task Ahead To Find Madoff Money, Co-schemers
By TOM HAYS and LARRY NEUMEISTER
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ With Bernard Madoff behind bars, investigators have their work cut out for them identifying who else may have been involved in his nearly $65 billion scam.
Among other things, prosecutors must determine what role, if any, Madoff's wife, brother, two sons and employees played in perhaps the largest Ponzi scheme in history.
"A lot of resources and effort are being expended, both to find assets and to find anyone else who may be responsible for this fraud," federal prosecutor Marc Litt said at a hearing Thursday where Madoff pleaded guilty to 11 felony counts and was ordered to jail immediately.Authorities also will have to reconcile Madoff's statement to the judge that "to the best of my recollection, my fraud began in the early 1990s." Prosecutors have alleged that the swindle began in the 1980s. Even though he admitted that his investment advisory business was crooked, Madoff insisted to U.S. District Judge Denny Chin that the other businesses his firm engaged in ¿ those run by his brother and two sons ¿ "were legitimate, profitable and successful in all respects."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV