FDA Approves Female Health's Women's Condom
CHICAGO (AP) ¿ The Female Health Co. announced Wednesday that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the company's FC2 Female Condom to help protect against pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS.
The company said the lower-cost second generation female condom will now be available for purchase in the U.S. FDA approval will also allow the United States Agency for International Development to procure the condoms and distribute them to global HIV/AIDS programs.
FHC's first-generation FC Female Condom was originally approved by the FDA in 1993. Since then, the company said the first-generation condoms have been distributed by United Nations agencies in 142 countries.
The company said it began developing the second-generation condom five years ago in an attempt to expand its access to women by significantly lowering the cost. FHC said it has successfully reduced the cost by as much as 30 percent by using a new material and a highly automated manufacturing process.The company said studies have shown that FC2 performs in a comparable manner to the first-generation product.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV