With more of the speculative bits of information assembled, it's looking more like Apple (AAPL) has swung into gear on a netbook.
Apple has ordered 10-inch touchscreens from its iPhone screen supplier Wintek, according to a source in a Reuters story Wednesday. The news is the most recent string to be gathered in this Apple netbook yarn.
The dive into netbooks -- a surging market dominated by $300 simplified mini-laptops from outfits like Acer and Asus -- could be jarring for Apple and its stock.Netbooks are popular devices at a time when consumers are pinching pennies. The problem, however, as Dell (DELL) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) investors will tell you, is that the netbooks game is a race to the bottom from a pricing perspective. Apple might spy an opportunity to sell top-tier touchscreen tablet-style computers, but the fear is that the presumably big price tag won't be an easy fit in the netbook cheapening trend. As analysts have noted, Apple ultra-cool, luxury devices are not quite in tune with the steepening global recession and a flight to cheaper gadgets. Consider it from slightly blunter angle. Consumers face an interesting choice: Buy an Apple computer, or buy four netbooks for the same price. The economics aren't completely in Apple's favor, it seems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV