Motorola Has a New Fan at Oppenheimer
Motorola (MOT), the wheezing No. 5 mobile phone maker, is starting to win over analysts one at a time.
The latest shop to change its mind on Motorola was Oppenheimer, which raised its rating to buy from neutral and affixed a $5 price target on the stock Wednesday.
The firm is optimistic about the steep cost cuts and Motorola's retooled efforts to get a crop of new smartphones into the market later this year.
In January, Goldman Sachs put a buy rating on Motorola and a price target of $7 as the firm added the phone maker to its conviction buy list.New handset chief and co-CEO Sanjay Jha has helped give Motorola a new narrower smartphone focus that could prove to be the make-or-break strategy for the former tech titan. Jha has aligned Motorola with Google's (GOOG) Android mobile phone operating system to produce mid-priced smartphones. The shift was seen as a blow to smartphone partner Microsoft (MSFT) and its Windows Mobile softeware, which has already been struggling in this segment as Research In Motion (RIMM) and Apple (AAPL) make gains at its expense. Motorola shares jumped 19 cents, or 5.8%, to $3.58 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV