Updated from 2:57 p.m. EDT
FuelCell Energy (FCEL) reported a first-quarter loss that widened from a year ago as higher volumes of sales resulted in increased operating losses.
The Danbury, Conn.-based manufacturer of fuel cells reported a fiscal first-quarter loss of $20.7 million, or 30 cents a share, compared with a loss of $19.7 million, or 29 cents a share, in the same quarter a year ago.
FuelCell Energy said revenue jumped 45% to $21.7 million from $15 million in the same period last year. On average, analysts were expecting a loss of 31 cents on revenue of $25.2 million, according to Thomson Reuters.Cash and investments in the first quarter totaled $36.1 million compared with $15.1 million in the first quarter of 2008. FuelCell said it experienced delays in closing contracts in the first quarter that it now expects to complete in the second quarter. Looking ahead, FuelCell expects to receive a boost courtesy of President Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which the company said will direct more than $30 billion for energy initiatives and another $20 billion in tax incentives for renewable energy and energy efficiency over the next 10 years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV