Victims Worry Madoff Will Take Secrets To Prison
By DAVID B. CARUSO
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Bernard Madoff's expected guilty plea leaves many of his ruined investors worried that the disgraced financier will take his secrets to prison with him. On the eve of his federal court hearing, key questions remained unanswered: Who helped Madoff run one of the largest investment scams in U.S. history? What happened to the money?
Many of the people ruined by Madoff's Ponzi scheme took little comfort in his day of reckoning, even if it puts him in prison for life.
"A pound of flesh here is really not worth as much as a check," explained Burt Meerow, 70, who saw the proceeds of a lifetime of work vanish. He is now selling his home in Park Ridge, N.J., to stay afloat.Madoff is scheduled to enter his plea Thursday morning in U.S. District Court in lower Manhattan. His lawyer has indicated he will admit guilt on all 11 felony counts, which would lead to a sentence of around 150 years under federal guidelines. He would not be formally sentenced for several months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV