Would You Benefit from a Brokered CD?
Brokered certificates of deposit (CDs), much like their name suggests, are CDs that a broker buys from a bank on your behalf. Adding a middleman can increase the annual percentage yield (APY) you earn on your cash, but it also means you might have to do a little bit more research before handing over your money.
Here are a few things to consider before buying a brokered CD.
How They Work
Buying a traditional CD typically involves shopping around for the best interest rate offers from local institutions -- which is as easy as entering your ZIP code at BankingMyWay.com's CD section. But with a brokered CD, your broker does the shopping for you, and will look for the best interest rates offered across the nation instead of just in your backyard.
The average APY on a traditional 12-month CD is currently 1.6%, but brokered CDs tend to do even better. "A brokered CD can get you around 20 basis points higher than a CD you could get on your own," says Cliff Michaels, president of Institutional Investment Advisors Corp., a New York-based independent financial planning and investment management firm. (A basis point is one hundredth of one percentage point.) "But it depends on what deals are available when you go to buy the CD. Generally speaking, the best rates come from the same institutions, such as Capital One (COF) and Discover (DFS)."
As with traditional CDs, it's important to look beyond the APY when choosing a brokered CD. For starters, make sure the lender offering the CD is FDIC-insured and that the CD is not-callable. If interest rates drop, banks can redeem callable CDs -- thus negating the benefit of locking in a decent rate over the long term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV