Despite the overall weakness in the markets on Monday, the banking sector experienced some surprising strength. This type of action in the banks is very significant, as many technicians believe that true stock market rallies need to be driven by positive action in the banks.
Investors could be starting to find some unbelievable bargains, considering the KBW Bank Index reached a record low on Friday of 17.75. Even bad news like dividend cuts at Capital One (COF) and Wells Fargo (WFC) weren't enough to take those stocks down.
Some other sectors that bucked the market downturn on Monday were heavy construction, REIT healthcare facilities and healthcare information.
The market seems to be taking President Obama's spending plans seriously as demonstrated by the bullish action in the sectors that will directly benefit.With this in mind, let's look at two charts from these sectors, along with two bank charts that look technically poised for big moves. To read (and see) more, visit Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV