Earnings Preview: Staples to report 4th quarter
By ASHLEY M. HEHER
CHICAGO (AP) ¿ Staples is scheduled to report results for the fourth quarter on Wednesday. The following is a summary of key developments and analyst opinion related to the period.
OVERVIEW: Staples Inc., the world's largest office products retailer, has seen its sales its increase due to last year's acquisition of the Netherlands-based Corporate Express NV. But excluding those gains, Staples' income slumped through the first three quarters of 2008.
During the fourth quarter, Framingham, Mass.-based Staples said it priced an offering of $1.5 billion senior notes due 2014 at a 9.75 percent coupon.Staples was selling the debt to repay part of its outstanding commercial paper loans, its 2008 credit agreement and a revolving credit facility. Staples expects the offering will generate about $1.49 billion in proceeds after the underwriting discount. In December, Staples voluntarily reduced its existing credit agreement to $2.75 billion from $3 billion. BY THE NUMBERS: Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters predict a profit of 42 cents per share on revenue of $6.85 billion for the quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV