Updated from March 9
In the spirit of "The Future of Financial Services" and "Future Financial Winners and Losers," let's look at two important core consumer segments -- retail shopping and eating out -- and see how they might change over the next year or so.
Here are three trends which you should expect to emerge or continue to evolve.
1. Consumers Are Keeping It SimpleFor many years there has been a trend of trading up. Consumers were using their spending power to buy more expensive goods and shop or dine at higher end establishments. Companies such as Nordstrom (JWM), Coach (COH) and Tiffany (TIF) saw a rise in sales. These companies extrapolated that trend and began to expand. Not only did they expand but they began to erect palatial and even opulent stores. For example, have you ever been to a Cheesecake Factory (CAKE)? Their restaurants are decorated with expensive granite, marble, carved wood and fancy lighting. The wait for a table was long, the menus were reasonably priced and the portions were large. I do not see how Cheesecake Factory can support its huge overhead with its business model in the current economic environment. So, out with the high end and fancy and in with the low-end and simple. There has already been a massive shift of spending from the high- and the mid-range retailers and restaurants down to the lower cost names. In retail, we are seeing discounters, such as Wal-Mart (WMT) (WMT), Big Lots (BIG) and Family Dollar Store (FDO), gain sales and market share as consumers trade down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV