Palm Seeks $49M With Stock Resale
Cash-hungry Palm (PALM) seeks to raise about $49 million from the resale of 18.5 million shares held by its investment partner Elevation Partners.
The move, announced in a filing Monday, calls for Elevation to sell 49% of its recent $100 million investment in Palm. Elevation received 100 million units of preferred stock and warrants in December, when it stepped up its investment in the Sunnyvale, Calif., smartphone maker.
Palm says it expects Elevation to use the proceeds to buy the common stock through the public offering.
To date, Elevation has invested $425 million in Palm in an effort to bring the tech shop back from the brink of collapse and regain its leadership position in smartphones. The efforts have delivered in the form of a well-received touch-screen Palm Pre phone. The prospect of a successful device, to be sold exclusively by Sprint (S), has helped push the stock up 100% this year.The Palm Pre is expected to compete with Apple's (AAPL) popular iPhone, sold by AT&T (T) and the Research In Motion (RIMM) BlackBerry Storm, sold by Verizon (VZ). News of a new public offering however, threatens to dilute the number of outstanding shares. Palm's stock was down half a dollar, or 8% to $5.65 in pre-market trading Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV