The Good News: Blockbuster Same-Store Sales Rise
Blockbuster (BBI) on Thursday reported an increase in U.S. same-store sales for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2008.
According to the Dallas-based company, domestic same-store sales rose 4.4%, compared with a 0.9% decrease in the fourth quarter of 2007.
Largely driving the increase were retail comparables -- sales of games, game merchandise and consumer electronics -- which grew 36.5%. Domestic same-store rental comparables fell 2.6%.
For all of 2008, Blockbuster's domestic same-store sales rose 6.4%, compared with a decrease of 6.9% in 2007. The 2008 domestic same-store comparables included a 1.2% increase in domestic same-store rental comparables and a 37.4% increase in domestic same-store retail comparables, the company said.Rumors had surfaced that Blockbuster was exploring bankruptcy protection. The company firmly refuted those rumors Wednesday, saying it had hired a law firm to explore options to refinance its debt, not to prepare a filing for bankruptcy protection. Blockbuster has grappled with erosion of market share in the face of rivals including Netflix (NFLX) and Apple, (AAPL), which offers a movie-rental service through iTunes. And, rather than wait to watch entire TV series on DVD, consumers now can watch episodes for free on a number of TV stations' Web sites. Blockbuster shares closed Thursday's trading session down 4.3% to 45 cents. Netflix closed up 0.5% to $37.90, Apple close down 2.6% to $88.84, and Hastings Entertainment (HAST) closed up 3.5% to $2.08.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV