We used different data for thrift holding companies. For bank holding companies, the table includes data from Consolidated Financial Statements for Bank Holding Companies (FR Y-9C) filed with the Federal Reserve.
Since thrift holding companies don't file a uniform set of numbers at the holding company level, we used thrift financial report data for the companies' main subsidiaries:
- For People's United Financial (PBCT), the data is for People's United Bank of Bridgeport, Conn, although People's United holds several other thrifts, which are much smaller.
- For Hudson City Bancorp, we used data for Hudson City Savings Bank.
- For TFS Financial Corp (TFSL), the data is for Third Federal Savings and Loan of Cleveland, Ohio.
- For Capitol Federal Financial, the data is for Capitol Federal Savings Bank of Topeka, Kan.
Northern TrustNorthern Trust (NTRS) had the lowest Texas ratio on the list, coming in at 1.76%. Its strong standing is reflected in its share price and price-to-book ratio, as both are fairly expensive. Northern Trust's numbers reflect its primary role as a private bank, with loans comprising only 37% of total assets as of Dec. 31. Nonperforming assets comprised just 0.15% of total assets -- the best overall asset quality ratio on the list. Still, the company's price-to-book ratio of 2.48 looks quite high in the current environment, and its $1.6 billion infusion of TARP money illustrates the headline risk associated with taking the government's money, especially for a company whose business model requires it to "wine and dine" wealthy clients. Following the media's indignation over its continued sponsorship of the Northern Trust Open golf tournament in Los Angeles, the company said Friday it would repay the Treasury all of the TARP money as soon as possible.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV