General Electric (GE) CFO Keith Sherin called concerns about GE Capital "overdone" on Thursday, but concerns about the finance unit continue to weigh on analysts following the stock.
GE shares were relatively flat in trading Thursday, but are off more than 57% since the start of this year, much of it due to concerns about GE Capital. Critics fret the unit is not adequately capitalized to withstand potential hits to exposure to Eastern European and commercial real estate and other holdings, which the company has not marked down as aggressively as other finance companies.
"They have to come to where the rest of the world is on mark-to-market," says Sterne Agee analyst Nicholas Heymann.
Sherin, in a CNBC interview Thursday morning, acknowledged the company may lose its triple-A credit rating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV