Updated from 12:28 p.m. EST
Some questioned decisions that BofA has made or were angry at the company or Lewis. Others were confused about aspects of the article, or angry at TheStreet.com for publishing it. We're giving them a platform to express these opinions, and for us to respond, through our reader mailbag.
The BofA BullsDave A. wrote in to say he believes Bank of America is solid, with little exposure to risky mortgage assets because of government funding and a heap of revenue. He doesn't think the bad assets from the Countrywide or Merrill Lynch deals are significant enough to hurt BofA results in 2009 and believes that rampant criticism is "driving this market into the ground." "Get a clue," writes Dave. "[BofA] will be profitable in 2009." "Sincerely sickened" Brian B. struck a similar tone, saying that articles pointing out potential flaws or risks at major financial institutions "are what's driving this economy down." Instead, he says, reporters ought to "start focusing our articles on positive things and get this economy going." Jim took issue with Roger Young's assertion at the end of the article that investors are safer waiting until bank stocks are on the rebound, rather than bottom fishing today, and perhaps losing the entire investment. While Young said that BofA would be a better buy at $5 -- when the market is more confident about its viability -- Jim wouldn't pay a premium for that faux assurance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV