Bet on the Horse and the Jockey
According to a Fortune piece, a 10% bounce in Goldman's most "opaque" assets would shoot book value up to $102 vs. a stock price of $88 today. And several years down the road, if Goldman continues to grow its business at the expense of the fallen, it could easily again become the darling of the financial sector.
Also, Goldman has indicated that it is very interested in paying back the government TARP money it has received. I doubt a company would consider making such a statement during this credit crunch if it wasn't comfortable with its capital position.
This market is not for the faint of heart. Now more than ever, able and competent management must lead their respective company's out of this crisis. But the company must also be sound, because even a great jockey can't ride a dead horse.
Please note that due to factors including low market capitalization and/or insufficient public float, we consider ATP to be a small-cap stock. You should be aware that such stocks are subject to more risk than stocks of larger companies, including greater volatility, lower liquidity and less publicly available information, and that postings such as this one can have an effect on their stock prices.This was originally published on RealMoney on Mar. 3, 2009. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney, please click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV