Bet on the Horse and the Jockey
Editor's note: This was originally published on RealMoney. It is being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers. To subscribe to RealMoney, click here.
One has to wonder if valuations really matter anymore. Mr. Market doesn't seem to care about whether a stock is trading at a P/E of 10, 7 or 4. If earnings continue to drop off a cliff, a price to earnings ratio doesn't do investors any good at all.
Yet fundamentals do ultimately matter. A company that can navigate through this environment with a lean operating structure and a strong balance sheet has a very good shot of surviving the storm. And as businesses shut down due to the difficult economy, those that endure could find themselves among a handful of participants in a particular industry.
However, fundamentals alone should no longer be enough for investors. Now more than ever, investors need to focus on the jockey steering the horse. This combination offers the greatest probability of not only getting through this economic catastrophe, but also a high chance of future stock price recovery.
Leucadia (LUK) is a quality horse and jockey bet. Chairman Ian Cumming owns nearly 10% of the shares. I wrote about Leucadia last week when shares were trading in the $13 to $14 range. Today the shares trade around $12 and not much has changed. The company reported a huge 2008 loss but that was due primarily to income tax expense. The company's mark-to-market losses on its securities were large, but that was expected given the market selloff.But the company trades at a significant discount to the value of its assets even at today's prices. And the company has announced that it is now authorized to retire the company's outstanding indebtedness when management deems appropriate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV