Palm's a Fit for Hewlett-Packard
The smartphone pioneer was up 3% Wednesday despite Tuesday's announcement of a jaw-dropping $70 million revenue shortfall in its fiscal third quarter -- 44% below the sales target.
The dismal performance is a throwback to the Palm of 2008, left for dead as Research In Motion (RIMM) and Apple (AAPL) charged ahead in the smartphone market. But lately investors have taken a sunnier view of the Sunnyvale, Calif., tech shop, thanks to the upcoming Palm Pre, a touchscreen phone with a slide out keyboard running on a promising new operating system.Palm shares are up 140% this year amid one of the worst stock market declines in decades. Why the strong sentiment? Early reviews of Palm's Pre suggest there's new life in the old smartphone shop. Others are jazzed about the prospects that Palm's revitalized Pre effort would fit well in a larger tech outfit struggling to find growth. "One of the only growth categories in the entire tech food chain is smartphones," says Collins Stewart analyst Ashok Kumar. Acquiring Palm would be a logical move for companies looking for an entry, he says. "The crown jewel is Palm's Web OS," says Kumar, referring to the new operating system on the Palm Pre. For companies like Hewlett-Packard, Palm would be a "bite-sized and accretive" move allowing them to "increase their footprint in consumer devices," says Kumar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV