Updated from Tuesday, March 3
CEO Ken Lewis says Bank of America (BAC) is strong and doesn't need more government assistance. The market says BofA is worth nearly 90% less today than it was a year ago.
Are these two sentiments reconcilable?
Lewis, the bank's CEO, asserted before Congress last month that BofA's "core business is strong." He told staffers in a memo last month that, "Bank of America does not need any further assistance today, and I am confident we will not need any further assistance in the future. I believe our company has more than enough capital, liquidity and earnings power to make it through this downturn on our own from here on out."He went a step further on Monday, telling the Financial Times that BofA accepted too much money from the government. Lewis called his request for $20 billion to support the bank's acquisition of Merrill Lynch a "tactical mistake" that was done out of "an abundance of caution." Bank of America only needed half that amount, he told the FT. Investors have heard Lewis' line before -- from executives at Lehman Brothers, Citigroup (C), AIG (AIG), Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE), among others -- and are loathe to trust the CEOs of financial institutions on their word alone. Citi needed another massive lifeline from the government last week, and rumors circulated that BofA -- another banking behemoth with a myriad of financial services products -- would be the next to fall. Worries persist, especially in light of Bank of America's substantial risk exposure in several categories: Credit cards, mortgages and investment banking.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV