Many have asked about buying gold, so this special report comes in three parts:
1. Why gold?
2. A short Savage history of gold and the U.S.
3. How to buy gold.Part 1. Why gold? The allure of gold is nothing new. Throughout the centuries, gold has held a fascination that comes not only from its beauty (hold a gold coin in your hand, and you'll see what I mean), but also from its truly limited supply. That quality has always made gold a "safe haven" in troubled times. And the price of gold has been a barometer of faith in governments and the currencies they issue. At this writing, the price of gold is around $940 per ounce. But that could change quickly -- either upward or downward -- since gold is traded around the world on a 24-hour basis. On Sept. 10, 2001, gold was trading at $271 an ounce. In March, 2008, and again last month, gold traded at more than $1,000 an ounce, just to give you some perspective. As a commodity, the price of gold is easily as volatile as stocks. But over the longer run, gold has been a reliable store of wealth. In all of history, only 161,000 tons of gold have been mined, barely enough to fill two Olympic-size swimming pools. More than half of that was extracted in the past 50 years, and there have been few recent discoveries. Gold can be found, but gold cannot be "created." Over the centuries, alchemists tried to create gold out of base metals, but none succeeded. Thus, the scarcity value of gold -- especially in an era where politicians create "money" out of thin air.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV