Net premiums written in AIG's general insurance business declined 16.3%, while premiums, deposits and other considerations in its life insurance and retirement division dropped 38.5%. General insurance -- which includes commercial, catastrophe, workers compensation and foreign insurance, as well as investments related to those businesses -- posted an operating loss of $2.8 billion, vs. a profit of $2.1 billion a year ago, excluding capital gains and losses. Operating income from AIG's life insurance and retirement business plunged 73% to $742 million from $2.7 billion.
"They're struggling to retain confidence both with employees and with customers," says Bill Bergman, who analyzes the company for Morningstar. "And competitors are concerned that this is irrational pricing, in their minds."
AIG spokesman Peter Tulupman disagrees, saying the company's commercial insurance operations, were remarkably successful, given the situation for AIG and the broader markets. AIG rolled those operations into a new entity called AIU Holdings, which recorded $4.4 billion in net premium underwriting in the fourth quarter, and $21.2 billion for the full year.
Tulupman also notes that AIU's statutory policyholder surplus -- a mandatory reserve that insurers must hold against claims -- rose by 1.1% and is higher than all U.S. competitors, and cites AIU's "excellent" financial strength ratings, which were affirmed by AM Best, S&P, Moody's and Fitch on Monday."Given the economic environment, market conditions and AIG's ongoing issues, commercial insurance performed well in 2008," Tulupman said. He characterized it as a "well-capitalized businesses that holds substantial liquidity and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV