Updated from 7:02 a.m. EST
Monday was another brutal day on Wall Street. After the worst February stock returns in 76 years, the first day of trading in March gave no indication of relief. The Dow dropped below the 6,800 level for the first time since 1997, leaving investors wondering how low the markets really can go.
The day started off badly when the stability of the financial system was again called into question as AIG (AIG) reported a $61.7 billion quarterly net loss. The earnings report prompted a third government bailout for AIG, this time to the tune of $30 billion.
Not surprisingly, financials took a hit, with JPMorgan (JPM), Wells Fargo (WFC) and PNC Financial (PNC) all down for the day. Big industrials such as General Electric (GE), Boeing (BA) and Caterpillar (CAT) also dropped after the Institute of Supply Management reported weak factory sector data.With this in mind, we thought we'd take a look at some of the stocks people have been searching for on TheStreet.com (including General Mills (GIS)) and see what Jim Cramer's had to say about them lately. To read more, visit Stockpickr.com. In Tuesday trading, shares of General Mills closed at $52.15 (down 0.32% for the day; down 14.16% year-to-date).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV