Joshua Strauss discusses socially responsible stock bargains with Gregg Greenberg in this video.
"Historically, value investing has proven to be a superior methodology," says Strauss, a partner at Chicago-based Pekin Singer Strauss Asset Management, which oversees the $11 million fund. "There's a lot of opportunity to find good stocks with low P/Es and low price-to-book ratios."
Socially responsible funds gravitate toward alternative energy and technology stocks, which typically aren't considered cheap. But Strauss looks for undervalued companies that emphasize human rights, environmental conservation and community investing. His mid-cap value fund, named after the famed apple entrepreneur, shuns tobacco, gambling, alcohol, pornography and weapons stocks.Those stock-picking restrictions haven't limited the fund's performance. Appleseed is down 9% year-to-date while the S&P 500 has fallen 17.5%. The fund was the best-performing socially responsible fund in 2008, according to Morningstar. It lost 18% last year, when the index dropped 37%. One stock that Strauss is especially high on is peanut and almond purveyor John B. Sanfilippo & Son (JBSS). The company takes up 15% of Appleseed's assets, quite a chunk considering the fund holds fewer than 25 stocks. "John B. is trading at about half its book value with over a 20% free cash-flow yield, so we love it from a value perspective," says Strauss. "Nuts are a healthy source of vegetarian protein to protect against heart disease, and the carbon footprint for nuts is far smaller than that compared to other forms of protein like beef or chicken."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV